Monday, August 20, 2012

Sarcasm doesn't really exist here . . .


Familia!!!!

Well, two down!  Many more to go!  Baptisms, of course!  Edvaldo and Gabriela were baptized this last Saturday!  I knew Edvaldo was ready, but the whole week my Companion and I were praying a lot for Gabriela.  I’m so happy that the Lord blessed her to be ready for baptism.  I finally like I’m here!!!!!  Finally feel like I’ve really started what I came here to do!  I had a couple rough days this week, but those baptisms really lifted me up.  HUGE blessing!!!!!  We might have another baptism again this week for Edlane who is the sister of Edvaldo, but that’s not a “for sure” thing.  Depends if we get the chance to give her all of the lessons.  I think it’s possible, but it’s not a for sure thing.  I will pray for it, though!  And I know you all will, too!  I know because of your prayers, I can have success and help others come unto Christ  J

Suuuuuuper excited that Gilbeno and Cicero will be married on the 31st of this month!  Then, the next day is their baptism!  Crazy to see a whole family (of four) accept baptism and to see how happy it makes them!  My goal for my two years here is to baptize a family of six in one day.  A big dream, but what other way to do it?  I pray for that opportunity every day!

My Portuguese is comin’ along great !  I learn new words and things to say (or not to say) every day.  For the most part, I can communicate just fine.  It also depends on the accent of the person.  For example, people who don’t annunciate or don’t have teeth?  Not happenin . . . Maybe a little but, but not much.  I can communicate with my companion about anything!  No problems there!  He isi also really good at helping me understand and learn.  So, if I don’t understand something, he is patient and explains another way.  He’s smart and really cool J  Door contacts are a little difficult sometimes.  I don’t really know why.  It’s just communicating and holding a really solid conversation is hard ‘cause I can’t fully express myself and, even more so, I can’t fully understand them.  So, I get nervous that I’m going to say something totally off topic . . . Hahaha . . . Not always, but sometimes!  I think in Portuguese now.  Not always, but every once in a while, I’ll be doin’ something in English or speakin’ English with Elder Denna and I find myself switching to Portuguese without thinking about it.  I tried praying in English with Elder Rodrigues the other day and it was suuuuuper hard!  How weird is that?!?!?

All of the other Elders were very jealous this last Zone Conference when I received nine letters!  Hahahaa!  I loved it!  So, please keep ‘em coning!  I know I’m gonna love the big ol’ piles I will receive from now on  J

A few funny stories . . . Elders Denna and Izquierdo are teachin’ a lady and her family and one of the girls has sent texts to Elder Denna totally hitting on him!  Hahahaha!!!  I don’t know why it’s so funny, but it is.  She’s always calling him “bonito” or “lindo” . . . Hahaha . . . So funny. 

Another strange thing . . . Sarcasm doesn’t really exist here.  For example, we were walking to this place where we send e-mails and this guy tried to go over a curb with his motorcycle, totally just showing off ‘cause he was giving a girl a ride . . . And . . . His bike stalled RIGHT in front of me.  Soooo, I said, "Parabéns", which means “Congratulations” and the other three Elders were laughing but were also worried for me.  I guess you can’t do that here?  Oh, well . . .

Other than that, nothin’ too special to report . . . We had our fair share of ups and downs, just like every other missionary!  Everything is great!!!!!!!  Lovin’ every minute!  I love you all so much!  Be good, be safe!  J  I love you all!!!

Love, Elder Dylan Miles Jensen

Elder Rodrigues, Edvaldo, and Elder Jensen

Elder Rodrigues, Gabriela, and Elder Jensen

Edvaldo, Elder Jensen, Edison, Kayky, & Juninho
These kids are so much fun . . . Haha!  I love 'em!
Edvaldo and Edison are brothers, as are Kayky and Juninho. 

No comments:

Post a Comment