Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dylan's First Letter from the São Paulo CTM


Herro!!!

Okay . . . So, I only have 30 minutes, so I’m not doing any proper grammar or typing, so don’t judge me.  I also am just going to write one big letter and if I have time to respond to the individual ones, I will do that afterward!

So, the flight here was super long.  I got sick right off the bat and my stomach was killing . . . Ha, ha . . . So the four hour layover in Texas was kinda rough.  Sittin’ on the bathroom floor trying to throw up.  I never did and I felt a lot better by the time we boarded the plane . . . So, life goes on!  Luckily, I sat next to a girl named Bruna who understood English and she taught me a little bit of Portuguese and what not.  The flight wasn’t too bad except that I couldn’t sleep at allllll.  Maybe like an hour or two.  It wasn’t too bad, though.  It seemed like a while, but not like 10 hours.

So, I finally got here and got all situated and everything.  There was someone at the airport to pick us up and help us exchange money and all that good stuff, so the airport wasn’t too stressful.  Luckily there was someone there to help or I woulda got way lost.

Then came the CTM!  Intense, but I was ready!  The first day seemed like a week cuz I was ake for so long, but it did end eventually . . . Ha, ha.  Within the first two days, I could pray and bear my testimony in Portuguese which was extremely cool.  The language seemed to come pretty easy.  Definitely the Lord blessing Missionaries!!!  It’s stressful learning the language, but also really fun.

My Companion is Elder Garn.  He is from Centerville, Utah and he’s a pretty cool guy.  He knows a lot about cars so we talk about cars a lot . . . Ha, ha.  We also got two Brazilian roommates the day after we arrived.  They are Elder Dos Anjos and Elder Sanchez.  Elder Dos Anjos is from Salvador (in Brasil) and I’m honestly not sure where Elder Sanchez is from . . . I forgot.

Well, it got pretty stressful right off the bat.  Mostly because of one thing . . . Investigators.  Not real ones, luckily, but our teachers role play.   So, they just throw you into the teaching.  It was soooooo hard.  They just all out speak Portuguese to me and I have no clue what’s going on.  Our first meeting is supposed to be getting to know them, but I had no clue.  Just things here and there.  So, that was a huge learning experience.  It’s incredibly hard right now, but I know it will pay off in the end. 

The good is pretty dang good here!  Tons of meat.  EVERY MEAL IS MEAT.  Except breakfast.  That’s usually just bread or fruit.  But, I thought that was good . . . Irmao Costa (my favorite teacher by faaaaar) took us out to a bbq place.  AMAZING.  You guys are gonna think I’m crazy . . . This is more extreme than Derek liking black beans . . . But . . . Chicken hearts.  I know.  Don’t judge me.  But it’s amazing!  I know the Lord is blessing me because if someone put a chicken heart in front of my face a week ago and said to try it two things could have happened.  (1) Just smack it out of my face cuz it looks disgusting or (2) I try it and totally puke because of the thought that a chicken’s heart is in my mouth.  Anyway . . . Absolutely amazing.  Everything there was sooooo good!  I don’t know all of what I ate and I try not to ask so I don’t gross myself out.  But it was all super good.

Funny story about Irmao Costa.  He started off with us ONLY speaking Portuguese which actually really helped.  Everyone said he spoke no English, but we all knew he did . . . Ha, ha.  Eventually he admitted it, but it was cool to have him do it.  Taught us a lot . . .

So, our District is the only District I think ever to have more Sisters than Elders, which has its ups and downs . . . Ha, ha . . . Mom, you know how much I wanted to get away from girls and the . . . It just doesn’t happen . . . Ha, ha . . . Even on a Mission.  Oh, well!  They are all really great! 

I learned within the first two days that I don’t rely on the Lord enough.  He showed me that by some of the situations that are taking place.  Situations that I can’t control by myself.  He is preparing me for something . . . I just don’t know what yet.

Well, I don’t have time for everything, but I love you all so much and wish you could see all that I am learning.  I’ve learned so much in just a few days.  It’s so great to be out here doing the Lord’s work.  I know that when I get this language down and head to Maceio, that I’m gonna fall in love with everything.  I LOVE YOU ALL!  Make sure everyone knows that.  I’ll write some letters so you can know more.  WRITE ME LOTS, PLEASE . . . WITH ACTUAL LETTERS.

Well, I’m gonna try to respond to everyone.  I love you all so much and think about you every day!!!!!!!

Love, Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment